Recipe: Jamie Oliver's Avocado pastry quiche with sweet pea, cheddar, and basil
Avocado and pastry: enough said.
When you consider quiche, you probably don't immediately think of avocado - but perhaps you should.
In Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, 7 Ways by Jamie Oliver, he presents us with a glorious avocado quiche recipe that is absolutely worth not being able to afford a mortgage (just kidding, you can do both these days, apparently).
The Avocado pastry quiche contains sweet pea, cheddar cheese, and a basil filling. It's served with some delicious mixed salad too, so you can ensure you're getting all of your greens while enjoying a delicious wholesome pastry treat.
You'll need (serves 6, total time: one hour):
- 2 ripe avocados
- 400g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 300g frozen peas
- 90g Cheddar cheese
- ½ a bunch of basil (15g), olive oil
- 100g bag of mixed salad
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
Photography: Levon Biss
1. Halve, destone and peel the avocados. Weigh the flesh – you want 200g to get your ratios right (if you don’t have enough, simply top up to 200g with extra virgin olive oil). In a large bowl, smash up the avo, then gradually rub in the flour, a pinch of sea salt and 4 tablespoons of cold water until you have a dough.
2. Knead until smooth, then wrap and rest for 15 minutes. For the filling, crack the eggs into a blender, then add the frozen peas and most of the Cheddar. Rip in the top leafy half of the basil, add a pinch of salt and black pepper, and blitz until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Roll out the avocado pastry on a flour-dusted surface to just under ½cm thick. Loosely roll it up around the rolling pin, then unroll it over an oiled 25cm x 35cm baking tray, ease it into the sides and prick the base. Roughly tear off any big bits of overhang, then bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
4. Evenly pour in the filling and bake for another 15 minutes, or until set, then finely grate over the remaining cheese. Dress the salad leaves with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, season, then sprinkle over the quiche to serve.
Energy: 764kcal. Fat: 52.6g. Sat fat: 11.3g. Protein: 12g. Carbs: 55.9g. Sugars: 2.4g. Salt: 1.1g. Fibre: 4.9g.
7 Ways by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Random House © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2020 7 Ways). Photography: Levon Biss.