Beef sliders with tomato relish from Neven Maguire's Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook
All this week we have delicious recipes from Neven Maguire's Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook, the latest offering from our favourite TV chef. The book offers over 200 recipes and daily menu planners to take you from first tastes through each stage of weaning.
Maguire also weighs in on the organic debate and offers great tips and advice for parents on everything from essential equipment to setting goals for your littlies.
"This is an all-American beef burger packed full of flavour and guaranteed to be a winner. Grill, pan-fry or barbecue to your liking. The burgers can be prepared in advance, ready to cook, and the tomato relish will keep well covered in the fridge for a couple of days, leaving very little to do at the last minute."
Beef sliders with tomato relish
Makes 12 sliders.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 mini brown burger buns, split in half
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 25g shredded crisp lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper,
- seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- freshly ground black pepper
1. To make the sliders, place the minced beef in a bowl and season lightly with pepper. Divide the mixture into 12 portions and shape each one into a small patty shape. Cover with cling film and chill.
2. To make the tomato relish, cut a criss-cross at the bottom of the tomato and then put into a bowl of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and peel off the skin when it’s cool enough to handle. Cut the tomato into quarters and remove the seeds and cores. Dice the flesh.
3. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, red pepper, tomato, red wine vinegar and maple syrup and season lightly with pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
4. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and then add the burgers. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until they are cooked through.
5. Preheat the grill to medium and lightly toast the split burger buns, then arrange on plates and add a smear of the mayonnaise to the bottom of each one. Top with a small pile of the lettuce and then add the burgers and a small spoonful of the tomato relish. Cover with the lids to serve.
Neven Maguire’s Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook is available in stores nationwide and online from the Gill & Macmillan bookshop, priced at €18.99.