2 years ago
The easy chia cookies to make on the weekend that'll have your breakfast sorted all week
The perfect grab-and-go breakfast.
Breakfast, they say, is the most important meal of the day.
The thing is, though, mornings can be hectic, and so often, many of us skip breakfast in order to save time – which often can be a slippery slope into snacking and making unhealthier food choices later on in the day.
These chia cookies are here to help you – so quick and easy to grab and eat, even if you have to do so on the go, you'll never again have an excuse not to eat breakfast.
Chia seeds are known for their fibre and omega-3 fatty acids, making them an excellent choice at any time of day, and let's be honest – who doesn't want to eat cookies for breakfast?!
Breakfast Chia Cookies
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Servings: 11 -12
- 2 tbsp Apple and Cinnamon Chia Bia milled chia seed
- 6 tbsp water
- 100g oats80g ground almonds
- 30g pumpkin seeds30g pecan nuts, chopped
- 20g unsweetened desiccated coconut½ tsp baking soda
- Generous pinch of sea or rock salt60g peanut butter, smooth and drippy
- 60ml olive oil100ml maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together milled chia and water in a small bowl and set to one side until “eggy” consistency.
- Add oats, ground almonds, pumpkin seeds, chopped pecans, coconut, baking soda and salt to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the peanut butter, olive oil and maple syrup in a jug.
- Add the chia “eggs” to the peanut butter mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the bowl. Mix well to coat and set to one side to thicken a little for five minutes.
- Scoop 11- 12 mounds of the mixture onto a large baking paper-lined baking tray.
- Use your hands to shape the mounds into balls, then flatten them down to form nicely shaped cookies with smooth edges. The cookies will spread just a little while baking.
- Place a pecan nut on top of each if desired.
- If you find it difficult to shape the cookies, dampen your hands a little as you go as the mixture will be a little sticky, it should be!
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes; until dry on top and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Store cooled cookies in a sealed container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to one month.