3 tasty DIY granola recipes to up your breakfast game this week
Granola is basically crunchy morning-time crack.
Or 'bedtime snack' crack, or 'in handfuls between meals' crack. Whatever you're into yourself.
There's nothing that'll get you out of bed faster than knowing you have a sweet breakfast waiting for you downstairs - and you can feel extra excited (and smug) if you've made it yourself.
Here are three tasty and easy recipes that, if you're not already, will make you a fully-fledged granola addict.
This couldn't be quicker to make. If you find it too sweet, just leave some of the sugar out.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oats then cook and stir until starting to brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spread out on a baking tray to cool.
- Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat. Stir in the honey and brown sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
- Return the oats to the pan. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes or so. Pour out onto the baking sheet and spread to cool.
- Once cool, transfer to an airtight container and stir in the almonds and dried cranberries. Any additional nuts and fruit can be stirred in at this time also.
Recipe via Allrecipes
Completely delicious and guilt-free.
- 2 cup – oats, dry
- 1/2 cup – cashews
- 1/4 cup – almonds, sliced
- 1/4 cup – sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon – cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 3 large – egg white
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees celsius.
- In large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into dry oat mixture. Stir gently until dry mixture is coated.
- Turn oat and egg white mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 60 minutes, stirring every twenty minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Recipe via SuperHealthyKids.com
Triple chocolate granola
The one we're most excited about, TBH.
- 3 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dark chocolate covered raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Pour oats into a large bowl, set aside. In a smaller bowl, mix melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, and dark brown sugar until combined. Add honey and salt and mix until a liquidy paste forms. Pour over oats and mix until all oats are moistened. Add more honey if needed.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring and flipping every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips while the granola is still warm. Stir. The chocolate chips will melt, creating larger clusters of granola.
- Once cooled, add in chocolate covered raisins and any additional add-ins you prefer. Store covered at room temperature for up to three weeks.
Recipe via Sallysbakingaddiction.