You'll think twice about drying clothes indoors after reading this expert's advice
You'll think twice about drying clothes indoors after reading this expert's advice.
Drying clothes in Ireland isn't always the easiest of tasks thanks to the unpredictable weather we're blessed with.
Sunshine in Ireland is pretty hit and miss and sometimes, you just have to stick them on the clotheshorse and hope for the best.
However, advice from the Asthma Society of Ireland has us rethinking this method and we're going to have to figure out an alternative.
Previously, a spokesperson for the society explained how drying clothes indoors can add moisture to a room and encourage the growth of mould, far from ideal.
Pheena Kenny, of the Asthma Society of Ireland, told RTÉ:
"Moist environments encourage the growth of mould which can release ‘seeds’ called spores. The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people. Mould and fungal spores are often invisible to the naked eye."
"Normally, when people breathe in these spores, their immune system helps to get rid of them by coughing or sneezing. If you aren’t sensitive to mould, you may never even experience a reaction. But for some people with asthma who are sensitive to mould spores, it can act as a trigger, causing asthma symptoms to get worse."
For people sensitive to mould, these spores can worsen asthma symptoms and aside from that, having mould in our homes isn't exactly something we're on board with.
To try to get around this particular issue, open the windows in your home regularly to ensure proper ventilation.
Use a humidifier and ensure that your air conditioner and/or heating filters are clean and dry at all times.
In addition to drying clothes outside where possible, you'll also want to avoid packing clothes too tightly into storage spaces and also avoid putting them in damp presses/drawers.
Professor David Denning carried out research with a large team at the National Aspergillosis Centre in Manchester and he too shared a warning on the topic, again echoing the views that mould can be extremely harmful to asthma sufferers or those with weakened immune systems.
"My advice would be when in doubt, dry wet washing outside, in a tumble dryer or in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living areas to be safe rather than sorry".