Warning to parents after 6 children were hospitalised with accidental cannabis poisoning 1 month ago

Warning to parents after 6 children were hospitalised with accidental cannabis poisoning

These products have uncontrolled concentrations of THC.

Doctors have confirmed that six children were hospitalised with accidental cannabis poisoning this year.

They are urging the public to be extremely cautious of edible cannabis, especially around young children.

One of the children who was hospitalised suffered a seizure, doctors revealed.

Five of the children were under the age of six.

They were all taken to Temple Street Hospital's emergency department.

Two children were discharged after 12 hours, but four were admitted to a ward.

One child was transferred to the hospital's ICU.

It is understood that two siblings, aged 3 and 4, consumed cannabis jellies called Chuckles Peach Rings. The jellies, which contained 50mg of THC, were left in a schoolbag in a communal space.

Advertisement

Gardaí and Tusla were called after the children were hospitalised.

The 4-year-old child was taken to ICU and treated for breathing difficulties.

The hospital recorded three incidents where the child's lips turned blue.

Both siblings were discharged after successful treatment.

Other symptoms of cannabis poisoning include hypotension, respiratory depression, and acute encephalopathy, which affects the brain.

Doctors have urged the public to be aware of just how dangerous cannabis poisoning can be for children.

A study in the Irish Medical Journal confirmed the six cases were the first series of accidental cannabis poisoning in Ireland.

The doctors warned that edible cannabis, like the jellies consumed by the siblings, is not child-proof. They also look like normal products, like children's sweets, so keeping them locked away and away from children's reach is essential.

They also urged parents to be aware of the signs including dilated pupils, confusion, vomiting, and in severe cases, seizures and coma.

Other side effects include slowed breathing, muscle weakness, slurred speech, lethargy and agitation.

They warned: “These products have uncontrolled concentrations of THC as they are largely made illegally and often supplied through the internet. This is a serious evolving paediatric public health threat with child protection issues."

The impact cannabis can have on a child is unpredictable and extremely harmful, medical experts stressed.