Baby lead weaning: 100 easy baby led weaning finger food ideas
Got a baby who is nearing six months and feel like it's almost time to introduce him to some actual, solid food?
Congratulations, mama –a whole new chapter of your life is about to begin.
Introducing your up-until-now-milk-only baby to real food is so exciting – and also a little scary. I remember being worried about how smooth was smooth enough, how pureed the pure had to be and when to introduce lumpier food (and just how lumpy could they be?!)
So many questions.
More and more mums are nowadays opting for baby led weaning, meaning you are pretty much giving your baby normal foods, not turning everything into 'baby goop' before you serve it. By definition, baby led weaning is where baby is allowed and encouraged to self-feed solid finger foods instead of receiving purées via spoon.
Baby led weaning can be a little messy, for sure, but it is also a great method to allow babies to grasp and examine food and in turn letting them learn to feed themselves.
What's important to keep in mind, like with all weaning, is to slowly introduce new foods (to make sure your baby isn't allergic to anything) and to never leave your child unattended while they are eating.
It’s good to start with softer fingers foods like banana, cooked sticks of carrot and sweet potato. Avocado too would be a good one to try.
We also recently came across this fab list of 100 baby led weaning finger food ideas, keeping in mind you need to use common sense and remove the seeds from various fruits and never give your child anything that can potentially be a choking hazzard.
100 Baby led Weaning Finger Food Ideas
- Carrots (cooked)
- Broccoli (Cooked)
- Cauliflower (Cooked)
- Sweet Potato (Cooked)
- Potato (Cooked)
- Zucchini (cooked)
- Butternut Squash (cooked)
- Pumpkin (cooked)
- Green Beans
- Red peppers
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Honeydew Melon
- Blueberries (I squished them)
- Grapes (cut much smaller)
- Yogurt Bites
- Rice Cakes (Alone or with toppings)
- Pea & Pesto Frittatas
- Cooked Pasta (macaroni, fusilli)
- Asian Tuna Croquettes
- Easy pancakes (mashed banana and an egg)
- Strips of Buttered Toast
- Mac and Cheese Cups
- Unsalted bread sticks
- Pieces of Cheese
- Cooked rice with cubed veggies
- Pieces of cooked fish (steamed) or meat
- Oat, banana, and raisin fingers
- Spinach and Ricotta Pie
- Chopped Hard Boiled Egg or Scrambled Egg
- Apple and Cheese Quinoa Balls
- Pita with Hummus
- Butternut Squash and Corn Pancakes
- CousCous Fingers
- Pita Pizza
- Veggie fritters
- Roasted Veggie Kebabs
- Veggie Sausage
- Beans (Kidney, Pinto, Black)
- Chickpea Patties
- Cucumber & Cream Cheese Sandwiches (cut small)
- Chicken and Cannellini Bean Nuggets
- Baby Muffins
- Cheerios or small wholegrain cereals
- Mini quesadillas
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookie
- Baked Cauliflower Tots
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Carrot apple yogurt muffins
- Tomato And Goat Cheese Toast
- Quorn or other meatless substitute
- Cooked apples stuffed with sweet potato and prunes
- Black bean cakes with sweet potato
(List and links via Punkymoms.com)