5 things you should do today to make the most out of your weekend
Friday has rolled around again, and another busy week is coming to an end.
But while we all love to make plans for the leisurely two days ahead, many of us also struggle to properly wind down once we leave the office for the weekend.
Does this sound like you too? Here are five easy ways to help you transition into weekend 'relax' mode:
1. Remember to leave work at work: It is all too easy, especially in this age of technology, to bring our e-mail correspondence, stress and work worries home with us for the weekend. But you are doing nobody any favours by this, and should aim to make your home a play of total zen. Before you walk through your front door, make a conscious decision to leave your stress on the threshold rather than carry it in with you.
2. Create a relaxing atmosphere: Do a little tidy (even if it means just shoving mess out of sight). Dim the lights, light a candle and turn on some music that will relax you. It often is the little things that make you lower your shoulders and truly relax. Oh, and if you don't feel like cooking, make Friday your take-out night. You deserve it.
3. Sip soothing teas: Instead of immediately cracking open that bottle of wine in your fridge, why not try and sip a warm drink, like herbal tea, as these are known for their relaxing effect on your body – and mind. Chamomile and peppermint tea are both good choices.
4. Visualize relaxing and letting go of stress: Help your body relax by focusing on yourself and your breathing. Lie down on your back and mentally scan from the top of your head down to your toes. Visualise each part of your body, stopping anywhere you are holding stress and discomfort and breathe deeply into that area. When that part relaxes, move on.
5. Shut off devices and be present: As early as you can, turn off your phone, iPad, even the TV if you can bear it. Your social media profiles can do without you, and will still be there in the morning – after you have allowed yourself to start your day in a relaxing way, of course.
Now, who is ready for the weekend?
How do YOU make sure you relax and leave your work at work? Let us know in the comments or tweet us at @Herfamilydotie
(Feature image via Pinterest)
Read more about: