Here's why you need to change your paddling pool water EVERY day 1 month ago

Here's why you need to change your paddling pool water EVERY day

Honestly, where would we have been without paddling pools the last few days?

Paddling pools, no matter how big or small, are an absolute delight on a sunny day.  But whether it's a petite place to paddle your feet to cool yourself off, or a massive tank you can do laps in, you've got to keep them clean, as this expert explains...

Joyce French from Homehow.co.uk recently described why it’s really important to clean your paddling pool and empty it on a daily basis: “As the warm weather settles in, more people are digging out their paddling pools to entertain the children in the family. If you are using a paddling pool regularly, it is important that you clean it and empty it on a daily basis. This is important to prevent bacteria from lurking in your paddling pool.”

Describing paddling pools as a ‘breeding ground for bacteria', Joyce continued: “Paddling pools are a breeding ground for bacteria such as cryptosporidium, norovirus and E-coli. This is normally caused by animal contact, such as ant or bird droppings, or even bacteria from your dog jumping in and out.”

Advertisement

You could also find yourself sharing the pool with some unwelcome guests, if the water isn't refreshed often enough, as Joyce explains: "Paddling pools are attractive to insects such as horseflies, who are normally drawn towards stagnant water, especially when the weather is hot. Unfortunately, this means there is an increased chance of bites, which can actually be deadly to some children and adults or cause pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, and a rush.”

Another thing to watch out for is algae. "If you’re leaving water in your paddling pool for too long, you will end up with algae covering the surface of the pool. This can be dangerous as it’s not always immediately obvious and it can make the bottom of the pool incredibly slippery. If someone steps in a bit too quickly, or loses control of their footing, they can easily slip over and end up really hurting themselves. Even more seriously, algae contains toxins that if ingested can cause gastroenteritis, fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, and headaches, and even affect the liver and nervous system.”

Better get the hose out!