The 'magic' fertility smoothie these celebrity mums claim helped them get pregnant
Recent research suggests that the best age to become a mother is in your 30s, and that children largely also benefit socioeconomically from having a mum who waited until she was older and settled in life and career before getting pregnant.
The thing is, that from our mid-30s, our fertility starts taking a nosedive, and with every year going by, our chances of getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy go down. Yikes.
It was this realization that hit American actress Molly Sims. "For me, it was 36 that it hit me, like, ‘Wait a second. I’m not with anybody but I think I wanna be a mom," she wrote on her blog. "It happens. It’s hard.”
But knowledge is power, Sims argues, and when she a couple of years later got engaged to her now-husband, Scott, she knew she wanted to start a family straight away. To ensure she would conceive as quickly as possible, the actress decided to be a little more proactive than just having sex, and tried both acupuncture and the legs-in-the-air method to ensure gravity could do its job.
The thing she credits with getting pregnant so quickly, though? Drinking Hollywood doula Lori Bregman's special fertility smoothie every day.
"I just know this recipe had something to do with the wonderful honeymoon baby we were blessed with," she explains, and admits she is still drinking it, as it is "good for you even if you’re not trying to get pregnant."
Want to give it a whirl? Here is Molly Sims' famous fertility smoothie:
- Frozen mixed organic berries
- Almond or rice milk
- Protein powder (without soy)
- 2 shots of wheatgrass
- Maca root powder
- Acai berry
- Mixed powdered greens
- Royal jelly
- Bee pollen
- Liquid omegas
Mix everything together in a blender. Use more or less milk to achieve the desired consistency.
What it all Does
• Powdered Greens, berries and acai: Feed and promote healthy cell growth and help nourish the blood.
• Wheatgrass: Lowers FSH levels, nourishes cells, helps restore hormone balance, and helps alkaline your PH levels, which makes it better for sperm to live in.
• Maca root: Nourishes the entire endocrine system, enhances fertility and brings hormones into balance. Also increases sex drive, vitality and gives you tons of energy.
• Royal jelly: Balances hormones, supports the endocrine system, helps raise estrogen levels in women, and helps increase sperm quality and testosterone levels in men.
• Bee pollen: Contains high levels of vitamins, acts as a natural aphrodisiac, nourishes the ovaries, increases fertility, regulates the menstrual cycle and helps produce healthy eggs in women, and increases sperm count in men.
• Protein powder: Repairs and builds healthy tissues.
• Liquid omegas: Helps stabilize your moods, lowers inflammation in the body, increases blood flow to the uterus, regulates the menstrual cycle, ovulation, and cervical mucus in women, and increases sperm mobility in men.
Have YOU got any get-pregnant-straight-away tricks up your sleeve? Let us know in the comments or tweet us at @Herfamilydotie
For more great tips and articles on fertility, make sure you are our friend over on Pinterest too.