An easy-to-make fish tacos recipe that will have everyone in the family licking their plates
Brought to you by Donegal Catch
A delicious way to get in that Omega 3.
Fish can be a bit of a struggle in the house when you have kids. It's one of those weird foods that the vast majority of adults love but a lot of kids hate. We're not quite sure where exactly the transition happens.
Now, we're thinking that it's definitely a mindset thing because, honestly, every time we've managed to get the little ones to actually eat some fish, they love it. It's getting them to agree to it in the first place that is the problem.
We think we might have just cracked the code though. We made these fish tacos the other night and they were a massive hit all 'round. We didn't even have an issue getting the little monsters to try them because, well, who doesn't love tacos?
They were a real treat for everyone and, once you make sure to choose the right fish, this "treat" gets in all that necessary protein and they're a great source of Omega 3. Plus, the best thing about them? They are super easy to make which is honestly crucial when you've got a million and one things to do.
As we said, they were pretty popular in our household so we thought we'd pass on the recipe to all of you hard-working parents out there.
Fish tacos with Chipotle slaw
Preparation time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins (we're not bad at maths - some prep and cooking time overlap)
1 pack Donegal Catch breaded Haddock 429g
8 small corn tortilla wraps
1 large tomato
1 red onion
For the Chipotle slaw:
1/2 head of white cabbage
1/2 head of red cabbage
1 bunch of chopped coriander leaves
115g sour cream
juice of half a lime
2 tbsp molasses (honey can also work)
2 tsp chipotle paste
1-2 pinches of salt to taste
(For best results, the slaw should be made first and refrigerated for half an hour but if you're short on time, you can make it while waiting for the fish to cook and use it immediately. It still tastes delicious!)
1. Prepare the slaw dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, molasses, chipotle paste, and salt in a big bowl.
2. Chop the red and white cabbage and add to the bowl along with the coriander. Mix together, ensuring that everything is properly coated.
3. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Oven-cook the fish based on package instructions. While the fish is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
5. Dice the tomato and the red onion and set aside.
6. Mash the avocados in a bowl or make yourself a little guacamole if you're feeling fancy (just add some salt, pepper, lime juice, and a few pieces of diced tomato - you can use the tomato you've already diced - to the mashed avocado for a super-basic but scrumptious guacamole).
7. Once the fish is finished, cut it into big chunks and divide the pieces evenly across the eight tortillas wraps.
8. Add tomato, onion and a generous helping of slaw to each wrap. Throw on a dollop of avocado/guacamole. Finally, drizzle with a bit of extra lime juice to taste.
Yes, they really are that easy but, you know, sometimes simple is best. We especially love making them with Donegal Catch fish because you can have them there and ready to go in the freezer for whenever you need them. Plus they take minimal to no effort to cook (everything a mum loves to hear!).
If your little ones aren't big haddock fans, Donegal Catch also some other delicious options that would go perfectly in these tacos. Switch the coleslaw up for a dollop of sour cream and use their scrumptious salmon fillets instead or, if your little ones are particularly fussy in the fish department, ease them in with the classic crowd-pleaser, fish fingers.
We're telling you, you'll have a new all-time favourite on your hands with these.
Brought to you by Donegal Catch
Donegal Catch wants to help Irish people eat more fish. They are the number one frozen fish brand and have a wide range of products that are loved by both adults and kids alike. Their fish range delivers great flavour as well as being a good source of protein and Omega 3. The iconic Donegal Catch Fishermen have made a return this November to show everyone that fun and loving-life attitude behind Donegal Catch. You can buy their entire range of frozen fish in all good supermarkets now. Visit their Facebook page for more information.