Preview of Neven Maguire's Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook: Sweet Potato Cakes
All this week we have delicious recipes from Neven Maguire's Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook, the latest offering from our favourite TV chef. The book offers over 200 recipes and daily menu planners to take you from first tastes through each stage of weaning.
Maguire also weighs in on the organic debate and offers great tips and advice for parents on everything from essential equipment to setting goals for your littlies.
These tasty sweet potato cakes with feta are perfect for older babies.
"It’s fine to extend the selection of cheeses you are giving your child as they reach their first birthday. These sweet potato cakes are delicious served with the simple avocado dip and, once cooked, they freeze well."
Sweet Potato Cakes with Feta
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 50ml buttermilk
- 4 tbsp baby rice
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- a little olive oil
For the Avocado Dip:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 25g plain yoghurt
- squeeze of lemon juice
1. Peel the sweet potato and then grate it – you’ll need about 200g in total.
2. Place the eggs in a bowl with the buttermilk and whisk to combine, then whisk in the baby rice.
3. Add the grated sweet potato, spring onions and feta cheese. Mix until well combined.
4. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large, non-stick frying pan and place over a low heat. Working in batches, place spoonfuls of the sweet
potato mixture onto the pan and gently flatten down each one with the back of a spatula.
5. Fry the sweet potato cakes for 1–2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
6. To make the avocado dip, cut the avocado in half and scoop the flesh into a mini blender. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice and blend to a purée.
Arrange the sweet potato cakes on plates and add some avocado dip to serve.
Neven Maguire’s Complete Baby & Toddler Cookbook is available in stores nationwide and online from the Gill & Macmillan bookshop, priced at €18.99.