Search icon


19th Sep 2017

Baby dies after being left by hot shower to ‘clear cough’

Jade Hayden


A baby has died after being left by a hot shower in the middle of the night to clear his cough.

One-year-old Mordechai Halpern woke up after 3am on Thursday night with a bad cough.

His father said he gave the infant a bottle filled with water and lemon juice but that this did not help the situation.

New York Daily News reports that the 27-year-old told police that he then wheeled the baby into the bathroom in his pram.

He turned on the shower to create a humidifier, which he thought would clear the child’s cough.

At 5am, the baby’s mother awoke to find that the one-year-old was unconscious in his pram.

Mordechai was brought to Maimonides Medical Centre but he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

A postmortem is expected to be carried out soon.