6-year-old child dies from bacterial outbreak at school in England 1 week ago

6-year-old child dies from bacterial outbreak at school in England

Heartbreaking news.

A 6-year-old child has tragically passed away in England following an invasive bacterial outbreak.

It is understood that the outbreak occurred at a school in southern England.

One child has passed away and another remains in hospital.

Their condition is not yet known, but the BBC said they're receiving treatment in hospital.

According to reports, the children caught group A streptococcal infection (iGAS). The illness, also known as Strep A, causes scarlet fever.

Following the child's tragic death, the UK's Health Security Agency's Dr Claire Winslade stated;

"We are extremely saddened to hear about the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School.

"Our thoughts are with their family, friends, and the school community," Dr. Winslade added.

Advertisement

"As a precautionary measure, we have recommended antibiotics to pupils and staff in the same year groups as the individuals affected.

"We have provided advice to the school to help prevent further cases and will continue to monitor the situation.”

"We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School and we offer our sincere condolences to their family, friends, and the whole school community."

Scarlet fever (Strep A) is extremely contagious. It can be very serious, but it is treatable with antibiotics.

Symptoms to look out for include a fever, sore throat, flushed cheeks, and a swollen tongue.

The scarlet fever rash is most noticeable in the creases of a child's joints and over the stomach.

It can also feel rough to the touch like sandpaper.

Anyone with symptoms should call their doctor immediately.

Read more here.