Search icon


05th Feb 2017

Five-Year-Old Schoolboy Choked To Death On His Lunch In Front Of His Classmates

Alison Bough

A five-year-old boy died on Friday afternoon in the UK after choking on his lunch while surrounded by members of staff and his classmates.

The young boy began choking while eating his lunch at Anlaby Primary School in Hull. The local newspaper, the Hull Daily Mail, reports that pupils were ushered out of the school’s busy canteen as members of staff tried to resucitate the five-year-old boy.

Paramedics rushed the child to the Hull Royal Infirmary hospital but sadly the youngster was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival.

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Cockerill said Humberside Police are working with the school to support the staff and pupils after the tragic incident,

“It is heart breaking that a child has died and we are supporting the child’s family.”

A police spokesperson said that they are currently treating the child’s death as unexplained,

“A child has sadly died at Hull Royal Infirmary after they had become ill at Anlaby Primary School yesterday afternoon.

We attended the school and the death is not being treated as suspicious, but unexplained at this time.

The child’s family have asked to be left to grieve in peace.”

An inquest is expected to follow to investigate the circumstances surrounding the boy’s death.