Gardaí renew focus on domestic violence as crisis calls rise by 18 percent 4 weeks ago

Gardaí renew focus on domestic violence as crisis calls rise by 18 percent

"Re-emphasise our commitment to protect the most vulnerable in society..."

Gardaí have said they have renewed their focus on domestic violence following an 18 percent increase in crisis calls since last year.

The new phase of Operation Faoiseamh will focus on the enforcement of court orders and the prosecution of offenders. Gardaí have also said they will continue to contact victims to offer local and relevant support.

This comes following a sharp increase in the number of calls being made concerning domestic violence. Since last year, there has been an 18 percent increase in assistance calls. There has also been a 14% increase in detections for breaches of court orders.

Gardaí launched Operation Faoiseamh on April 1 of this year to provide "enhanced proactive support to victims of domestic abuse."

Chief Superintendent Declan Daly said that they are aware of the "fear and concern some in our community may have at this time" as the country's second lockdown commences. 

Advertisement

He added that the public must remain aware that current travel restrictions do not apply to those escaping from harmful situations.

"I wish to take this opportunity to re-emphasise our commitment to protect the most vulnerable in society," he said.

"Operation Faoiseamh has been established to ensure you are safe, if you feel threatened or are in fear please contact us and we will respond quickly and robustly."

An Garda Síochána is encouraging anyone who is a victim of abuse, or know of a family member or friend who is a victim of abuse, to make contact. Those requiring urgent assistance or support are urged to call 999 or 112.