Google's new Family Link app allows you to manage your kids' devices
Google's Family Link app has arrived in Ireland.
The news follows the success of the US launch of the app earlier this year.
Family Link helps parents set up boundaries, rules and guidelines for their little ones while online.
The app allows parents to connect their iPhone or Android to their kid’s Android phone or tablet and set a number of digital guidelines that work for their family.
Family Link, which is available via Android and iOS, allows parents to:
- Manage the apps their child can use
- Approve or block the apps the child wants to download from the Google Play Store
- Keep an eye on screen time
- See how much time their child spends on their favourite apps with weekly or monthly activity reports, and set daily screen time limits for their device
- Set device bedtime
- See their child’s location
- Manage certain settings in Google and Android
- Remotely lock their child’s device when it’s time to play, study, or sleep.
To activate the app, your child will need a device that runs on Android Nougat 7.0 or iPhone iOS 9.
Download the Family Link app on your own advice and create a Google Account for your child via the Family Link app.
Commenting on the launch, Fionnuala Meehan, Head of Google Ireland, said:
“Our goal with Family Link is to help parents and children explore technology and the digital world together, while making it easier for them to discover, create and share as a family.”