Search icon

News

11th Jul 2017

‘She just loved life…’ Teenage girl dies after using her phone in the bath

This is so tragic.

It is being reported that a teenage girl died on Sunday after being electrocuted in a bathtub.

Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother have both been quoted by local media saying that the 14-year-old was in the bath and “either plugged her phone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in”.

The girl had just graduated from the eighth grade from Terra Vista Middle School in Texas but the tragedy happened at her father’s house in Lovington, New Mexico.

Madison Coe New Mexico bathtub death

“We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,” school officials said.

“I call her my shining star,” her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, said in conversation with KCBD. She added: “She was very smart, a very good student in school. She just loved life.”

Her family have described the incident, saying that Madison was in the bathtub and grabbed her phone that was plugged into a charger in a bathroom outlet.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened,” Ms O’Guinn added to KCBD.

The extended Coe family have now urged people not to use their phones in bathrooms.

A GoFundMe page has also been set-up for Madison. It reads: “It is with a heavy heart that we announce the loss of Madison Coe. Our hearts go out to their family during this difficult time.

“We are asking for your support to help this precious family with medical and memorial costs. Any support given would be greatly appreciated. All donations will go directly to her family.”