A mum has issued an urgent warning after her daughter was nearly strangled by a blind cord.
The mum issued the warning on the Tiny Hearts Education page on Instagram because she wants parents to realise just how dangerous blind/curtain cords can be.
She explained that she was hesitant to share what happened to her daughter because: “I didn’t want anyone to know but I do feel this is something all parents need to be aware of.”
The mum said her daughter Ava was playing on the porch when she was messing with the blind cord.
“She said she wrapped it around her neck and then tried to get out without unwrapping it. She wasn’t stuck was able to breathe, and talk, and was never in distress.”
View this post on Instagram
Her mum continued: “Thank GOD. I have the worst mom guilt and it instantly triggered me due to my past.
“I was an absolute mess when I found out what happened later on,” she continued.
Her mum didn’t realise the mark on her daughter’s neck until someone else pointed it out. She had no idea that her daughter had hurt herself.
“I don’t even want to think about what could’ve happened. I’m just so grateful she is okay. We explained to her the dangers of doing that. All strings are wrapped up now & we will be buying blinds that don’t have strings.
Ava’s mum Emily said all she wants is for parents to be aware of how easily these things can happen.
“I just want parents to be aware of how quickly something like this can happen since it’s not something that most people think about.”
Parents have been urged to make sure the blind/curtain cords in their homes are secure at all times.