The palace has responded to claims they 'vet content' for Netflix's The Crown 10 months ago

The palace has responded to claims they 'vet content' for Netflix's The Crown

The palace have responded to claims they have been "vetting or approving content" in Netflix's The Crown. 

The series' creator, Peter Morgan, previously said he regularly met with senior royal officials about what The Crown would cover.

“Respectfully, I tell them what I have in mind and they brace themselves slightly," he told the Times.

However, the Queen's communications secretary, Donald McCabe, has now responded to Morgan's comments in a letter to the Times - and denied that the show comes with any kind of royal endorsement.

He said [via The Sun]:

“[It] may have the unfortunate consequence of leading your readers to believe that the television series The Crown is made with some sort of endorsement by the royal household, or an acceptance by the royal household that the drama is factually accurate.

“We appreciate that readers of The Times may enjoy this fictionalised interpretation of historical events, but they should do so knowing that the royal household is not complicit in interpretations made by the programme.

“The royal household has never agreed to vet or approve content, has not asked to know what topics will be included, and would never express a view as to the programme’s accuracy.”

Season three of The Crown will land on Netflix on November 17, 2019.

Olivia Colman and Tobias Menzies have been confirmed to be taking over the roles of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip from Claire Foy and Matt Smith.

Meanwhile, Helena Bonham Carter will be stepping into the role of Princess Margaret, which was previously played by Vanessa Kirby.

Josh O'Connor will be playing Prince Charles, while Emma Corrin will be playing  Lady Diana Spencer.