Three children hospitalised after ingesting cannabis infused sweets 3 months ago

Three children hospitalised after ingesting cannabis infused sweets

Their condition is not life-threatening.

Three children have been hospitalised after they allegedly ingested cannabis-infused sweets.

Gardaí are investigating an incident where several children became ill following an event in west Dublin on Sunday.

It is now understood that the children had consumed a product advertised as cannabis-infused edibles and have become ill after.

A Garda spokesperson has confirmed that none of the conditions are life-threatening and a small quantity of the product has since been seized and will be subject to analysis by FSI.

The product has been marketed as "Runtz" sweets and the HSE has previously warned about the public health risks associated with synthetic cannabinoids appearing in jellies and sweets.


These are typically sold as Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) edibles in Ireland.

The following are the symptoms associated with synthetic cannabinoid exposure:

Feeling dizzy, confusion, abnormal sweating, respiratory issues (difficulty breathing or lack of breathing), chest pain/rapid heartbeat, nausea and vomiting, agitation, aggression, psychotic behaviour, hallucinations, delusions, seizures or fits. A sudden loss of consciousness may also occur.

A notice on said: "Synthetic cannabinoids are man-made chemicals produced to mimic the effects of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive compound in cannabis. Often, products do not contain THC but instead they can contain a synthetic cannabinoid which will produce similar, more potent effects.

"They will greatly increase the risks of a drug emergency occurring because they produce more intense adverse effects. Their use has caused many serious poisonings, mass poisonings and deaths internationally in recent years."