There are tons of free workshops and activities on for kids across Ireland this month
Looking for ways to keep the kids busy this month?
Back from holidays already and still have August to get through before school is back? Or staycationing around Ireland this summer?
Either way, yesterday, Bank Holiday Monday, marked the start of the month-long August Craft Month celebration in Ireland, the largest ever programme with over 230 events now, over 100 of which are free to attend, across all 32 counties in Ireland.
There are tonnes of free exhibitions and so many creative and fun workshops for kids – so if you are looking for fun things to get stuck into this month, look no further.
Here are just some of the fun craft events for kids taking place this month:
- Hands-on History: Create a train at Castlerea Railway Museum - All aboard for a special children’s craft workshop to create and decorate your own toy train in the Castlerea Railway Museum in Roscommon! Join Scéal Heritage as you build, paint and decorate your own small locomotive train cab, and learn about the story of trains. This event is FREE, taking place on 21st August.
- Fashion Summer Camp for Children at Marley Park - Join Niki Collier for a week long summer camp for children. Learn how to make lace from T-shirts, make patterns and sew a skirt from a shirt, how to dye clothes with food and make your own hat from wool, silk and found objects. Ends with a Fashion Show! Includes demonstrations in the afternoon of different textile wonders. Taking place from 1 – 5th August, €165 for the week.
- Feltmaking an Irish sheep from Irish wool workshop for teenagers - A crafty workshop for the young curious crafter (aged 12+), using locally sourced Irish wool to make a little sheep for your wall. Taking place in Bray on 4th August, a three hour workshop for €35.
- Sew your own pyjama shorts workshop – Suitable for aged 12+, teenagers can really get into sustainable fashion with this two hour workshop where you can make your own pyjama shorts! The two-hour workshop takes place on 6th August in Tralee, County Kerry, it is €10 for the materials.
- The art of candle making - Experience the art of candle making, learn the history of this craft and make your own candle to take home. From the ancient beeswax to the modern soy. All materials are suppled, with the two hour workshop costing €18. Taking place on 6th August in Wicklow.
For more information, schedules, and venues, you can find all the events here: augustcraftmonth.org