Two children have been hospitalised in Dublin after eating sweets containing cannabis
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) issued a warning last month about what was described as the “dangers” associated with eating cannabis-infused sweets.
This comes after it was reported that the 'sweets' are now widely available online, and easy to get a hold of. In at least one incident, the FSAI said sweets containing cannabis oil were consumed by a number of teenagers, one of whom subsequently suffered serious adverse health effects requiring hospitalisation.
Yesterday, two children aged three and four were hospitalised after eating suspected cannabis jellies in Dublin.
The incident happened in the Coolock area, and emergency services attended the scene and the children were taken to Temple Street Children’s Hospital where they continue to receive medical attention.
According to The Journal, no -one has been arrested in regards to the incident at this stage, but in accordance with agreed protocols, the child and family agency Tusla has been notified by An Garda Síochána.
In a statement, the gardaí advised that “it is an offence to cultivate, import, export, produce, supply and possess cannabis except in accordance with a ministerial licence”.
“Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the principal psychoactive constituent of cannabis. Under the Misuse of Drugs legislation products containing THC are strictly controlled and possession is unlawful except under licence,” gardaí said.