Bride-to-be tragically dies from anaphylaxis after using the wrong spoon 5 days ago

Bride-to-be tragically dies from anaphylaxis after using the wrong spoon

The bizarre incident happened while she was on holiday

A newly-engaged woman died four days after her fiancé proposed to her because her tea was stirred with the wrong spoon.

Jess, 24, was on holiday with her new husband-to-be, Craig McKinnon in South Africa when the freak accident happened in December.

Craig had popped the question on December 27th at God's Window viewpoint in Mpumalanga. Just days after the proposal, Jess sadly died.

It was revealed that Jess suffered from an acute dairy allergy and went on to suffer anaphylaxis.

As a result, she suffered from a severe reaction which saw her throat close up before she passed away.

Advertisement

Despite carrying two EpiPens in case any incident like this occurred, it wasn't enough to save her.

woman dies

Her fiancé, Craig, paid an emotional tribute to her upon returning from South Africa. "When Jess died, a part of me died too - but there is no one to blame for her passing away," he said.

"But, God, she'd had several near-misses."

He speculated that Jess' body has weakened as a result of the previous near misses and that was why despite having the EpiPens to hand, it wasn't enough to save her.

The 24-year-old added that Jess was first diagnosed with the allergy when she was she was nine months old.

"Another time, she ordered a vegan dessert which shouldn't have had dairy and she needed antihistamines, an EpiPen, and a hospital trip," Craig added.

"I haven't eaten dairy for about three years because it just wasn't worth the risk."

Jess' funeral took place on January 6th.

Craig has explained that he is sharing her story to raise awareness about the severity of allergies.

"It is something people cannot control and it can kill them," he said. "I just want people to listen and understand how serious this is."

Related links:

Influencers slated for sharing dangerous advice on contraception

Grandmother charges her daughter €15 an hour to babysit grandchildren

Food regulator chief compares harm of bringing cake into offices to passive smoking