Mum issues warning after discovering mould in Sophie the giraffe teether 4 months ago

Mum issues warning after discovering mould in Sophie the giraffe teether

"It scares me to think how ill it could have made my daughter"

A mum has issued a warning to other parents about the popular Sophie the giraffe teether.

The Co. Tyrone mum discovered a foul odour coming from her baby's teether.

She has urged other parents to inspect their toys after she found mould inside.

Speaking to Belfast Live, the mum said she was shocked over the discovery.

"My daughter loves her Sophie teether and uses it regularly.

"I always give it a wipe clean but one day I noticed a funny smell coming from it so I decided to cut it open."

The mum continued, "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the inside of it had spots of black mould.

"It really horrified me," she admitted.

Advertisement

"It scares me to think how ill it could have made my daughter if we hadn't realised what was growing inside it."

The mum was shocked that a toy that is meant to help baby's going through teething would develop such a problem.

She was less than impressed when she contacted the company that makes the popular Sophie le giraffe teethers.

After emailing them, the company told her mould would develop if the object came into contact with moisture.

"But it's an object specifically designed for teething babies so of course, it is going to come into contact with moisture when a baby is chewing and slobbering on it regularly!"

The company is now investigating the issue after the mum posted back the toy.

She was offered a replacement for her daughter but said she is afraid the same thing will happen again.

"My daughter has used the teether for months. I don't know how long the mould has been there, it's very worrying."