Warning to parents after popular chocolate spread is recalled
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland issued an official recall this week.
A warning has been issued to parents about the recall of a popular chocolate spread.
Spar's Spread Up Hazelnut Choco is being recalled due to the presence of almonds.
There are concerns about children with allergies because of this.
Spar has urged all customers to return the product to stores immediately.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland also issued an official recall this week.
Batches affected have best before end dates of June 2022; August 2022; September 2022; November 2022 and December 2022.
The FSAI stated: "SPAR is recalling the above batches of SPAR Spread Up Hazelnut Choco because it contains nuts (almonds) which are not mentioned on the label.
#AllergenAlert Undeclared Almond in Batches of SPAR Spread Up Hazelnut Choco. For more on this alert, see: https://t.co/Cji0MgDowj. pic.twitter.com/m1L5feLrgk
— FoodSafetyAuthority (@FSAIinfo) June 14, 2022
The FSAI added, "This may make the affected batches unsafe for consumers who are allergic to or intolerant of nuts (almonds)."
You should seek medical help if a child with allergies has consumed the chocolate spread.
"Medication called antihistamines can relieve the symptoms of an allergic reaction," the HSE shared.
Symptoms of a food allergy include an itchy sensation inside the mouth, throat, or ears.
A person may also break out in a raised itchy red rash.
They may also experience swelling of the face, around the eyes, lips, tongue, and roof of the mouth.
Other symptoms include vomiting and wheezing.
Adrenaline is an effective treatment for more severe allergic symptoms, such as anaphylaxis.
In severe cases, a person may have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis), which can be life-threatening.
You should call 999 or 112 immediately.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis include breathing difficulties and trouble swallowing or speaking.
The person may also feel dizzy or faint.
"Ask for an ambulance and tell the operator you think the person is having a severe allergic reaction."