Did you know mould could be lurking inside your child's sippy cup? Here's how to check 1 month ago

Did you know mould could be lurking inside your child's sippy cup? Here's how to check

If you have toddlers or young kids, chances are you are in possession of sippy cups.

These clever little toddler beakers are a must-buy when your baby is ready to move on from bottle drinking, and a lifesaver in that they don't spill when being dropped (or flung!) down from the table or high-chair at mealtimes.

Most of us will rinse out or wash these daily, but if you thought just unscrewing the lid from the cup and washing is sufficient, you are wrong.

Recently, parents took to social media to share their horror at discovering what was lurking under the spill-proof lid of their kids' sippy cups.

@danit___ ??? my baby has been drinking mold for months all day daily!! #PepsiApplePieChallenge #Fyp #daycarechronicles101 #Daycare #Mold #SippyCup #360Cup #munchkin ♬ Oh No - Kreepa

Y-UCK. How gross is that?

In a video she posted on TikTok under the name @danit___ on TikTok, the mum takes apart her daughter's sippy cup, which she's brought back from nursery to reveal it is covered in thick, slimy mould.

'My baby has been drinking mould'

Advertisement

In the video, which has since gone viral, she says:

'My baby has been drinking mould.

'Make sure your kids' school is properly cleaning their 360 cups.

'The purple one is how it's supposed to look when cleaned after every use.

'This is months of old milk and mould build-up. She has two cups at school that have been there for at least six months.'

She wrote on the post:

'GROSS! This probably explains her constant stubborn cough!'

Parents – naturally – responded in shock to the video:

Advertisement

‘Not making kids drink mould is a basic in childcare,’ commented one.

Another added:

‘OMG I have these cups for my son and I didn't know they come apart like this.’

Another added.

‘So happy I saw this before he started using them!’

A while back, Tommy Tippee was made aware of this issue, and this is what they had to say about the issue at the time:

"We are always very attentive to your feedback, comments, ideas and the way in which the parents use our products and their children the experience. . . . We understand that the well-being of your children is of paramount importance, and we assure you that we have tested the valves of our cups, and the results have clearly confirmed that when the instructions for use and cleaning are followed, all works correctly. In addition to our instructions for use of cups, we have prepared a list of FAQ to help you to clean your cups and their valves."

Additionally, the company did come out and recommend that the cups only be used with cold fluids — including water and non-pulp juices — rather than thick or warm liquids, such as milk or pulpy juices.

How dangerous is mould to kids?

Speaking to Care.com, Dr Sara Siddiqui, paediatrician and clinical assistant professor at NYU Langone’s Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital in New York, reveals that sippy cups are pretty much a dream locale for mould.

“Mold craves warmth and moisture — and when you add food particles to the mix, mould will find your child’s sippy cup irresistible,” she explains.

The good news is that while unsightly, the danger that mould in sippy cups poses is relatively low, Siddiqui reveals.

“Mould itself is not considered dangerous to a healthy individual but can cause medical issues in someone who may be allergic,”she explains.

According to the UK's NHS, signs your child may have been exposed to mould include sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks. Those with allergies or asthma can have a more severe reaction.

Have you checked your child's sippy cup or even your own water bottle?