3 egg-stremely tasty treats to make with the kids this long weekend
The Easter long weekend is upon us, and if you are looking for some indoor activities to get stuck into with the kids, look no further.
Kids love helping out in the kitchen, so why not try these delicious Easter-themed recipes from Annabel Karmel – not only are they healthy, but also pretty flipping cute too:
1. Sunny Side Up Bunny
1 mini wholemeal pitta
1 large egg
½ tsp olive oil
2 thin slices black olives
- Slice the pitta in half through the middle and lightly toast in a toaster. Cut out two ear shapes and set them aside.
- Carefully crack the egg into a small bowl.
- Place the oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Carefully tip the egg into the pan and let it cook for 3–4 minutes until the whites are completely set but the yolk is still soft.
- Remove and place sunny-side-up on a plate.
- Add the pitta slices for ears, olives for eyes, and chives for whiskers.
- Your bunny is ready to hop to the table.
2. Little Chick Scrambled Eggs
Small knob of unsalted butter
2 medium British Lion eggs, lightly beaten
8 slices of cucumber, cut in half
½ red pepper, deseeded – use to cut out the crown, beak and feet
1 olive, 2 thin slices
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Add the butter and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir, then cook for a further 20 seconds.
- Remove and scramble the lightly cooked eggs with a fork.
- Spoon onto a plate to make the body of the chick.
- Add the sliced cucumber for the eyes, wings and grass
3. Mini Bunny Quiches
Why not try these bunnylicious savoury serves this spring? These mini bunny quiches also make for a great alternative to your traditional picnic spread.
8 mini tortilla wraps
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
150ml double cream
120g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan / 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6. Grease 6 size 1 ramekins with oil. Trim the tortilla wraps to 14cm diameter circles. Line the ramekins with the wraps, pushing them into the bases and up the sides.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a saucepan. Cook the onions for 10 minutes until soft. Spoon into the ramekins. Sprinkle with the thyme, mix the eggs, cream, and milk together in a bowl. Season. Divide the Gruyere between the cases. Pour the mixture on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut out the bunny ears from the remaining 2 wraps. Brush the ears with a little oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake alongside the ramekins for 8 minutes until golden.
- When the mixture is set, remove from the oven and insert the ears into the quiches. Decorate with carrots for the bunnies’ noses, chives for whiskers and spring onions for the eyes.