Halloween at home: 3 spooktacularly delicious veggie dishes the kids will love
Kids not overly fan of vegetables come dinner time?
We reckon that won't be the case anymore when you show them these spooktacularly good Halloween recipes from Mash Direct– and the best news? They are so easy to whip up in your own kitchen.
Because while Halloween this year will no doubt look very different, we can all look for fun ways to incorporate a little ghoulish fun into these next couple of weeks – and if this means we all eat more veggies too, well, then it's a win-win, no?
From Rosti Spiders to Spooktacular Mashed Spuds, Mash Direct’s frightfully fun Halloween recipes will put a smile on everyone's face this Halloween:
Rosti Spiders and Croquette Mice
- 1 pack Mash Direct Potato Croquettes
- 1 pack of Mash Direct Potato Rosti
- 1 Courgette
- A handful of olives
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 Carrot
But you can use whatever vegetables you’d like!
For the Croquette Mice:
- Cook the Mash Direct Potato Croquettes according to pack instructions.
- Peel a carrot and chop into sections about 0.5cm thick.
- Using a knife, cut 2 slits on either side of the croquette. Take 2 pieces of carrot and insert to become the ears.
- Cut an Olive in half and use as the eyes.
- Use thinly sliced or spiralised courgette as the tail.
For the Rosti Spiders:
- Cook the Mash Direct Potato Rosti according to pack instructions.
- Cut and deseed the red and yellow peppers. Cut 8 slices from the red pepper as spider legs.
- Cut an Olive in half and use as the eyes, and use Yellow Pepper slices for fangs.
Carrot, Parsnip and Pumpkin Mash
- 1 packet Mash Direct Carrot & Parsnip
- ¼ cup double cream
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50g butter
- ½ Large Pumpkin (peeled, deseeded, diced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey (optional topping)
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (optional topping)
- Deseed 1 large pumpkin and cut in half (or use cutout pieces of pumpkin from carving). Peel and dice the pumpkin.
- Cook the pumpkin in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return to saucepan. Using a potato masher, roughly mash the pumpkin (drain any excess liquid).
- Return to a low heat. Add Mash Direct Carrot & Parsnip mash and stir. Add butter, cream and nutmeg, and mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as required.
- Serve with honey or toasted pumpkin seeds. We served ours in mini pumpkins.
Spooktacular Mashed Potato
Cook Time – 5mins
- Mash Direct Mashed Potato
- Whole black peppers (for the eyes)
- Stuffed green olives (for the mouth)
- Cook the Mashed Potato in the Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Pipe or Mould the Mashed Potato into Ghost shaped peaks.
- Place two Black Peppers for eyes and a slice of stuffed Green Olive for the mouth!
We served with a stuffed Orange Pepper cut into the style of a Halloween Pumpkin, but you can serve with any Spooky meal!