7 common foods that can be choking hazards to toddlers and children
It was always my worst fear when my children were very little.
But the truth is that even children who know how to chew properly are at the risk of choking. Sometimes children eat too quickly, or they don't have time to chew their food properly because something more fun awaits them once the meal is over.
I have a rule in my house that was put into place way back when: You sit at the table until you are finished chewing and only then –once you say thank you, obvs – can you go play.
The most important thing, I think, when it comes to toddlers and young children is to always cut their food in small pieces. But some foods have proven more dangerous than others when it comes to being possible choking hazards.
Here are some to watch out for, and always make sure you are supervising your child when they are eating:
- Hot dogs or sausages
- Hard candy or gum
- Cherry tomatoes