18-month-old toddler in hospital after scalding incident at creche 1 year ago

18-month-old toddler in hospital after scalding incident at creche

An 18-month-old boy is being treated for burns in the UK after he was scalded by boiling water at his creche.

Little Reuben Adams opened a safety gate at the nursery in Fixby, West Yorkshire where he was being cared for and managed to find his way into the kitchen, claims his mum Sarah.

It was there that he was somehow injured by boiling water from a bowl used to heat bottles.

Sarah was alerted to the incident by the nursery manager who told her Reuben had been burned.

She immediately rushed to the hospital where the little boy had been taken by ambulance.

"He was in an awful state. I got hold of Reuben and took him out of the nursery nurse’s arms and they left," she told The Huddersfield Examiner.

“I was in hysterics. I was crying. I didn’t want him to see me so upset."

Reuben was transferred to a larger hospital and was put on heavier painkillers.

“He has had some more morphine to clean the wounds. On Tuesday night he couldn't sleep and I was with him all night.

“The doctors have been round and examined him. He will be in for a few days.”

Reuben suffered burns to the left side of his face and head and his left shoulder. The skin on his face appears singed in these photos obtained by The Huddersfield Examiner.

His injuries are not life-threatening.

Sarah said they didn't know yet whether there would be scarring and that she has been too upset to speak to nursery staff since the incident.

The incident is being investigated by Ofsted, which regulates childcare services in the UK.