Man arrested in Cork attack released without charge 11 months ago

Man arrested in Cork attack released without charge

He was arrested earlier this week.

A man who was arrested in relation to an assault on a young woman in Cork City last month has been released without charge.

The attack occurred on Evergreen Street at around 11.30pm on Saturday 29 January.

Gardaí arrested the man yesterday in connection with the incident and he was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 but has now been released without charge.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Gardaí in Cork said that the attack was made on a woman aged 23 and described it as random and violent.

The victim was said to be walking along Evergreen Street near the South Gate Bridge when she was attacked and violently beaten around her face and head by a man on his own.

Advertisement

Passing drivers then spotted the incident and stopped to help which forced the man to flee the scene.

The area is known to be busy with pedestrians and vehicles at all times of the day.

The woman was then taken to hospital with her injuries which were said to be serious but not life threatening and it was reported she suffered a broken jaw.

Gardaí are now looking at CCTV footage from the area and carrying out door-to-door inquiries.

One lead they are following is that the woman had been out socialising in the city and was walking home but had been followed for some time.

Statements have been taken from those who helped the victim and saw the man take off.