Welsh family pay tribute to 2-year-old boy as his mother is charged with murder 3 months ago

Welsh family pay tribute to 2-year-old boy as his mother is charged with murder

He died on August 12 after sustaining serious injuries the day before.

The family of a two-year-old boy who died from serious injuries sustained at a house in Bridgend, south Wales, have paid tribute to the 'perfect' toddler.

Little Reid Steele was taken to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff after police were called to the house at around 7.30pm on Wednesday, August 11.

He was sadly pronounced dead the next day.

His mother, 31-year-old Natalie Steele, has been charged with his murder and appeared in court via video call last week.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Davies, the senior investigating officer of the case, asked people to refrain from speculating about the case on social media and urged anyone with information to get in touch.

"This is a harrowing case for all concerned and my thoughts go out to Reid’s family who continue to be supported by specially-trained officers," he said.

Reid’s family have now paid tribute to the tot, saying: "Reid was honestly the most energetic, happy, intelligent, beautiful and loved child we have ever met.

"He was able to count to 10 in three languages. He frequently asked 'Are you okay?' whenever he spoke to anyone because he cared for everything and everyone.


"His favourite things were Bob the Builder, Winnie the Pooh and the Heffalump, the beach, shells and pebbles, diggers, flowers and nature.

"Reid lit up everyone’s lives. He adored the songs You Are My Sunshine, This Little Light of Mine and Bob the Builder.

"We miss him with every fibre of our beings. Reid never experienced evil or pain in his little life, he was so adored by all of us. We miss him every single day.

"He was the most beautiful and precious angel to grace the earth. If anyone of you were able to have met him in his short life, you will understand exactly what we mean."

The family are now hoping to raise funds in Reid’s memory for the Noah's Ark unit of the hospital, where doctors fought for his life.

They continued: "Sadly, he lost his fight on August 12. We cannot put into words how utterly amazing the staff were at the ward. They allowed Reid’s grandparents to stay overnight to be close to him and supplied a care package for them including a t-shirt, toothbrush etc.

"They allowed all six of us to visit him in pairs whilst he fought for his life. We will never be able to express our appreciation of how amazing they were.

"They did everything they possibly could to save his life and went above and beyond to ensure we were all supported the whole time. They allowed us in a separate room to grieve and had a room for us to eat and drink if we so needed.

"We want to raise as much money as we can in Reid’s memory for Noah’s Ark, he would’ve loved this. His favourite story was also Noah’s Ark so it seems very fitting to fundraise for this charity. Any donations will make a huge difference to all of the other families and children needing care."