Search icon


23rd Oct 2017

Irish mum shares warning after 17-month-old nearly chokes on marshmallow

'Utterly terrifying experience.'

Jade Hayden


A mum has shared a warning online after her 17-month-old daughter nearly choked on a marshmallow.

Niamh Reed said that she had the experience of watching her daughter, Doireann, lose consciousness after a marshmallow blocked her airway.

She called the moment “utterly terrifying.”

In a Facebook post, she wrote:

“The melting marshmallow begins to seep down the throat, expanding and blocking the airway making it impossible to dislodge.

“Even if the marshmallow does not begin to melt, it is a very airy sweet which is easily sucked down the airway if talking or laughing while it is in the mouth.

“Our baby is 17-months-old but even for young children and adults these “treats” are lethal.

“Please, please bin any mallows you might have at home and spread the word to make everyone aware.”

The mum also thanked the “amazing” staff in Temple Street Children’s Hospital for the work that they did to save her daughter’s life.

“We were extremely lucky that the right people were on hand and have no doubt that their quick actions saved Doireann’s life.

“I have promised myself that I will make others aware that marshmallows and children do not mix. Sometimes I like to think I know everything but I did not know this!!”

Niamh’s post has since received over 1,400 likes and almost 800 comments with mums sharing their thanks for the warning.