Strep A: Mum told to crush up antibiotics for baby after medicine shortage 1 week ago

Strep A: Mum told to crush up antibiotics for baby after medicine shortage

A mum in the UK was told to crush up antibiotics pills for her 10-month-old daughter after a Strep A diagnosis following the medicine shortage.

The baby was diagnosed with scarlet fever caused by strep A in December last year but there were no antibiotics available at the time due to a huge surge in the illness.

Catrin Edwards, a mum from Wales, revealed to BBC Live Wales that she became concerned when she noticed a rash on her daughter and had heard about the rise in Strep A.

With a lack of medication available, Edwards told the broadcaster that having to dissolve the pills four times a day in breast milk or apple juice was "scary" and took a "long time".

"I felt like a chemist myself - I had to cut the tablets up, crush it up, and then feed that to her four times a day," she said.


"I had to cut it in half, then cut it again into a quarter then put it into the syringe and then flick it to make the tablet dissolve in the liquid.

"If you had a little bit less or a little bit more, I wasn't to know if I was giving her the right amount."

Public Health Wales has said that this has since returned to more expected levels.

The HPSC in Ireland listed the symptoms of scarlet fever to look out for.

Symptoms include a fever, a rash, flushed cheeks, and a sore throat. Your child will also have a swollen tongue.

The tongue may be covered in a white coating. This coating will peel and leave the tongue swollen and red. This is known as 'strawberry tongue'.

The rash is typically found in the joint creases, as well as over the child's stomach. It can feel rough, like sandpaper.

Children who contract scarlet fever will often have a mild infection. Complications are rare, but they are still possible.


Here are 10 summer sounding baby names inspired by the sea

Parents who starved their 10-year-old son have been arrested

Three children and a baby found alive 17 days after plane crash