The young girl died following a drowning accident in Cork.
A community has been left devastated after an 8-year-old girl died in a drowning accident in Co. Cork.
The young girl was swimming with her friends at Fountainstown Beach on Tuesday afternoon.
The child reportedly got into difficulty at around 4. 30 p.m. Her friends managed to get back to the shore to raise the alarm and call for help.
Emergency services rushed to the scene to help locate the young girl but sadly found her body after an extensive search.
Gardaí issued a statement following the harrowing discovery.
“At approximately 4:40 pm this afternoon, Gardaí received a report of a female child entering the water at Fountainstown Beach.
“A search and rescue operation was launched involving the Coast Guard, RNLI, Fire Services, Customs, Mallow River Rescue, and Garda Units from Crosshaven and Carrigaline Garda stations.”
The search was stood down following the discovery of the child’s body at 7.45 p.m.
A post-mortem will take place at Cork University Hospital. The Coroner has been notified.
We’re keeping the young girl’s family and friends in our thoughts at this heartbreaking time.
- Woman considers divorcing husband after he asks her to be a stay at home mum to avoid creche costs
- Dublin Zoo is offering all September visitors a chance to win lifetime passes
- Virgin Media’s new series ‘Born Too Soon’ starts tonight
- Mum slated over the contents of her daughter’s lunch box
- Mum hits back at trolls who shamed her for having a baby at 45