Parents warned over 'chroming' TikTok trend after teen dies at sleepover
Parents are being advised to educate their children on the dangers of TikTok challenges after a teenager died at a sleepover in recent weeks.
The issue of dangerous viral trends is not a new topic of concern, however, in recent years, there have been several deaths among younger people who have taken part.
'Chroming' is the latest social media challenge doing the rounds that has proven to be fatal and involves inhaling toxic chemicals, with potentially deadly results.
The heartbroken family of 13-year-old Esra Haynes - who passed away as a result of chroming - have spoken out about the dangerous trend to help raise awareness.
Speaking to the Herald Sun, her dad Paul said: "It's unquestionable that this will be our crusade. No matter how much you lead a horse to water, anyone can drag them away.
"It's not something she would have done on her own."
Esra’s sister, Imogen, told 7News: "We definitely have a mission to raise awareness for kids and anyone that does it.
"We don’t want that to happen to anyone else. We don’t want another family to go through this, it’s absolutely horrible."
Her brother Seth added: "I just want to put awareness out there that it can happen very quickly, and we don’t want to lose any more amazing people."
What is Chroming?
Kelly Johnson-Arbor, M.D., FACEP, FUHM, FACMT, a medical toxicologist, co-medical director, and interim executive director of the National Capital Poison Center, described the new trend to parents.com.
According to Dr. Johnson-Arbor, chroming can take several forms:
- Sniffing: Inhaling vapors directly from a container, such as a nail polish remover bottle.
- Bagging: Inhaling vapors, like air freshener spray, directly from a plastic or paper bag.
- Huffing: Inhaling gasoline, lighter fluid, or other vapors soaked into a fabric.
She said: "Since vapors are often more concentrated when soaked into fabric or sprayed into a bag, inhaling the chemicals by these methods can increase the number of fumes inhaled and lead to a higher degree of intoxication."
Toxic chemicals can include aerosol cans, paint, solvent, permanent markers, nail polish remover, hairspray, deodorants, lighter fluid, glue, cleaning products, and many more.
These inhalants result in a short-term "high" slowing down brain activity in the central nervous system.