By Steve Hopkins
‘Nuria was the light of our lives. She embodied joy, kindness and generosity and she was loved by all around her’
A second eight-year-old girl has died after a Land Rover crashed into a London primary school last week, with her family announcing her passing with “profound sorrow”.
Merton Police confirmed Monday morning that Nuria Sajjad lost her life as a result of injuries sustained in the accident at The Study Prep School in Wimbledon last Thursday.
Nuria’s death follows that of Selena Lau, also eight, who died on the day of the crash. The children were having a tea party to mark the last day of term at the school when the vehicle crashed into a school building.
In a statement released via police, Nuria’s family said: “It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of our beloved Nuria on Sunday, 9 July 2023.
“Nuria was the light of our lives. She embodied joy, kindness and generosity and she was loved by all around her.
“We would like to thank the efforts of the emergency services, all the extraordinary staff at St George’s Hospital, the parents of Nuria’s class fellows and staff of the Study Prep for all they have done to ease Nuria’s journey. “We request that our privacy is respected at this difficult time.”
A second child has sadly died following a serious road traffic collision in Wimbledon on Thursday.
She has been named as 8-year-old Nuria Sajjad.
Full story here – https://t.co/UVh3zzCzEV
Our thoughts are with the family and friends at this tragic time. pic.twitter.com/czvAsqnmaq
— Merton Police (@MPSMerton) July 10, 2023
Several other people, including more children, remain in hospital following the accident which occurred around 10am.
The driver of the car, a 46-year-old woman, was arrested at the scene, but later bailed to a date in July as investigations continue.
Selena’s family also released a statement following her death, paying tribute to their “cheeky girl”.
It read: “Selena was an intelligent and cheeky girl adored and loved by everyone. The family wishes their privacy to be respected at this sad time.”
The Study Prep school, which caters for more than 300 pupils aged as young as four, spoke of its “profound shock” after the accident.
In a statement on its website on Thursday, the school said: “We are profoundly shocked by the tragic accident this morning at Wilberforce House and devastated that it has claimed the life of one of our young pupils as well as injuring several others.
“Our thoughts are with the bereaved family and with the families of those injured at this terrible time. It is still far too soon to fully understand what happened, but we are well aware of the significant impact this dreadful event will have on our pupils and their families.
“Their welfare remains our top priority and we will be doing everything we can to support them, especially those who suffered injuries.
“Now that a police investigation is underway we will not be making any further public statement for the time being and would ask that the privacy of our school community is respected at this deeply upsetting time.”