Healthy habits: The incredibly-good-for-you drink you should be starting your day with
I cannot start my day without it.
No, not coffee (although trust me – I need that too!)
I am talking about hot lemon water – and once you hear how incredibly good it is for you, you might want to get in on this healthy habit too.
According to A LOT of studies and health pro's and nutritionists, this zingy, soothing beverage is what we should all be starting our day with And while it might not sound like the tastiest concoction (you'll get used to it, take it from me), the benefits of drinking it can range from a stronger immune system and prettier skin to more energy and fresher breath.
And if you need any more convincing, here are 12 reasons why you should start your day with some hot lemon water:
1. It helps you detox every day: While lemons may seem quite acidic, they are actually an alkaline food that can help balance your body's pH.
2. It cleanses your liver: Drinking this first thing in the morning will help flush out toxins from your body. And who doesn't need a little liver cleansing right about now?!
3. It wakes up your digestive tract: This simple yet powerful beverage stimulates your gastrointestinal tract — improving your body's ability to absorb nutrients all day and helping food pass through your system with ease.
4. It soothes an upset tummy: When you go to bed on a full stomach, pesky heartburn or a bloated belly can really set you up for a bad morning. Hot water cleanses your system, while the flavonoids from lemon juice may help reduce acidity.
5. It supports weight loss: Lemon juice contains pectin, a soluble fibre that has been shown to aid with weight loss. So skip the sugar-laden teas or lattes, lemon water is your new BF!
6. It gives you an antioxidant boost: Lemons are choc-a-bloc with antioxidants and vitamins, especially vitamin C (approx. 30-40 mg per lemon)
7. It gives your skin a GORGEOUS glow: Vitamin C helps with the elimination of toxins from your body, which in turn will give you a healthier glow.
8. It improves your digestion: Perfect if you have been overdoing it on the greasy take-outs!
9. It gives you better-smelling breath: A glass of lemon water in the morning will be good for your oral hygiene.
10. It can relieve pains: Lemon juice helps reduce pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid.
11. It is good for your brain: The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells.
12. It protects your eye-sight: Lemons help maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems.