Search icon


07th Mar 2024

Parents warned about ‘chroming’ as 11-year-old boy dies

Jody Coffey


Devastating news

An 11-year-old boy has tragically lost his life after ‘chroming’, which is also known as huffing or sniffing.

Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington’s family confirmed the heartbreaking news on Saturday, sharing that their loved one had suffered a suspected cardiac arrest after participating in the activity.

The young boy was found unresponsive by paramedics at a friend’s home at around midnight on Saturday and was rushed to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

His heartbroken grandmother, Tina Burns, has spoken out in the wake of her grandson’s death, sharing that he died immediately after ‘chroming’ and that the hospital tried everything to bring Tommie back.

She has also warned parents about the dangers of chroming, urging them to be aware of the activity in the hopes of preventing another tragic death.

“This is breaking us all but we want to help save other children’s lives and give families awareness to keep their children safe,” Tina told the Lancashire Post.

What is chroming?

‘Chroming’ refers to the act of sniffing chrome-based paint.

However, it’s now a broader term used to describe the deliberate inhalation of toxic chemicals such as solvents, aerosol cans, paint and glue and is also known as ‘huffing’ or ‘sniffing’, according to the National Retail Association.

The inhalation of these chemicals affects the central nervous system, resulting in a short-term ‘high’ as the brain slows down.

It can also cause slurred hallucinations, nausea, speech, disorientation, dizziness, and/or vomiting.

‘Chroming’ can also have much more dire consequences such as heart attack, seizures, suffocation, or a coma.