Search icon


16th Jan 2016

Do you use scented products in your home? If yes, there’s something else you SHOULD be doing


We love nothing more than using lemon-scented products in the kitchen and lighting a scented candle whilst we relax in the bath (that happens once in a blue moon so when it happens, we really go to town).

But it turns out that such perfumed products aren’t exactly good for you. In fact, a new study has reportedly linked them to a chemical which is known to contribute to the cause of cancer.

According to The Telegraph, researchers looked at the presence of “volatile organic chemicals” in six households over the course of five days.

They discovered that the most prominent chemical was limonene which is used to create the citrus smell in items such as candles, cleaning products and air fresheners (that many people love and use).


While it is harmless by itself, it forms another chemical, formaldehyde – which is listed as a human carcinogen – when it comes into contact with the air around us.

The best ways to tackle this issue is by opening a window or, as a team of experts at the BBC suggests, by having more household plants such as geraniums or ferns (they absorb the toxic chemical).

If homes are not properly ventilated, it can lead to high levels of limonene and therefore formaldehyde, which could potentially become unhealthy.

The study was led by Professor Alastair Lewis of the National Centre for Atmospheric Science at the University of York.