Already dreading all those uneaten lunchboxes you’re going to have to empty into the bin as the kids go back to school?
However, having come across this yummy sounding lunchbox food over on Babyology, we reckon these pizza bread stick are about to break that trend. How yummy do these sound – like a cross between a delicious savoury muffin or bread – topped with “pizza toppings?!”
2 cups self-raising flour
60g cold butter, chopped
2 tsp caster sugar
¾ cup milk
2 tbs chopped parsley
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
100g shaved ham, chopped
450g can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup pizza sauce
½ small red onion, finely sliced
1 small red capsicum, finely diced
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper.
- Place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix. Add the milk, parsley, ½ a cup of mozzarella, ham and the pineapple to the mix. Season well and mix to form a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and gently knead it together. Gently roll it into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle and press it level into the prepared tin.
- Spread the dough with pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle with a cup of the mozzarella sauce. Top with onion and capsicum.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until turned golden brown. Stand in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and cut in half lengthways. Cross cut each half into 3cm wide sticks. Delicious warm or cold – don’t forget a pot of dipping sauce!