Take one locally sourced turkey, then dress it up with some serious flavour. It’s like a Sunday roast, but not as you know it. Health fanatics will love it too, with pomegranate seeds and almonds adding a nutritional punch to the old reliable.
Serves 8 – 10, prep time is 20 minutes, cooking time 170 minutes.
- Medium fresh turkey 4 – 4.3 kg
- 300 mls of orange juice (with bits)
- Chicken stock cube dissolved in 150 mls of boiling water
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 punnet pomegranate seeds
- Chicken gravy granules
- Preheat the oven to 190F/375C/Gas Mark 5
- Put bread, rind, celery, spring onions and almonds into the food processor an pulse until combined
- Add OJ, pomegranate seeds and the egg and season with salt and pepper. Pulse again for 1 min.
- Roast for 20 mins per kg plus 90 mins
- For a 4kg bird the cooking time would be 170 mins.
- Remove the neck and the giblets and wash inside and out.
- Stuff the stuffing mix into the neck of the turkey and place in an oven proof dish. Cook for 20 mins. (Towards the end of cooking time.)
- Put the Turkey in a large roasting dish and pour over the chicken stock an OJ and season with salt and pepper.
- Base the Turkey frequently and loosely cover the breast with tinfoil if getting too brown.
- Check the bird is done by inserting a skewer into the thigh. Juices clear? Bird cooked. If not and still pink, pop back in for 20 mins. Check again.
- Allow bird to rest and cover tinfoil with for 2o mins. This will allow juices to settle.
- Skim off any of the cooking juices and thicken with gravy granules.
- Serve garnished with orange and pomegranate seeds and if feeling energetic, on a bed of buttered leeks!