Parents to receive once-off increase in two social welfare payments
The payments are one-off.
Parents are set to receive two increases in social welfare payments in a one-off bonus to aid with the cost of living crisis.
The package of support was announced last week by the Government and will see an increase in child benefit and the back to school allowance.
When it comes to the child benefit bonus, parents will receive a bonus of €100 per child in June.
For this, you must be already receiving the benefit. You are eligible for this if your child is under 16. If they are aged 16 and 17 and in full-time education or full-time training or have a disability and cannot support themselves, they are also eligible.
To qualify, you must be living in Ireland and satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition (HRC).
Child benefit is €140 a month for each child and paid on the first Tuesday of every month.
There will also be another €100 given for each child as part of the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance.
This payment helps with the cost of uniforms and footwear for children going to school.
The be eligible for this, your child must be:
- Aged between 4-17 on 30 September - the year you are applying for BSCFA
- Aged between 18-22 and returning to full-time second-level education in a recognised school or college in the autumn of the year you are applying for BSCFA
You may also apply for this if you are:
- Getting a qualifying social welfare payment or participating in an approved employment, education or training support scheme. You can find a list of qualifying payments and schemes.
- Your household is within the BSCFA income limit
- You and each child you are claiming the BSCFA for is resident in Ireland
- Your total household income must also be less than the amounts set out in the 'Weekly income limits' table below. All your dependent children are counted when the income limit is applied (including children who do not qualify for BSCFA because they are aged under 4).
This scheme will open in June and the closing date for applications will be September 30, 2023.