Search icon

Family dynamics

18th Apr 2019

Dogs Trust warn about leaving chocolate lying around this Easter

Jade Hayden

Dogs Trust has warned pet owners about leaving chocolate lying around this Easter.

Chocolate, as most people are aware, is incredibly toxic to dogs and could lead to their untimely death if they consume too much of it.

Which is a dangerous enough scenario when you consider the sheer amount of chocolate eggs, chocolate bars, and chocolate sweets that are going to be hanging around people’s homes over the next week or so.

Veterinary surgeon with the charity, Desré Daly, said that although chocolate is a sweet treat that humans enjoy, dogs should never have it.

Here’s why.

“It is the theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, that can be toxic to dogs,” she said.

“When a dog eats chocolate, the theobromine metabolizes more slowly than it does in humans.

“Theobromine interferes with the normal functioning of the central nervous system, heart and kidneys. Without appropriate and timely treatment, this could lead to death.”

If your dog accidentally eats chocolate this Easter – or any time, really – you should contact your vet right away.

They’ll ask you how much chocolate your dog ate, what brand of chocolate it was, and how long ago your dog ate it.

Vets will be able to work out whether the amount of chocolate your dog ate was toxic or not, but even if you suspect that it wasn’t, it’s always good to check.