These Baby Names Inspired By Irish Mythology Are So Good We Want Them ALL
Irish mythology is a rich source for beautiful and unusual baby names.
We trawled the cycles of ancient stories from the Tuath Dé Danann – the ancient tribe of gods and goddesses – to the Fenian Cycle – featuring stories of the Fianna warriors – to find some of our country's forgotten gems. There are many variations in the spelling of Irish names so I apologise in advance for any inaccuracies, as any Sadhbh or Sive or Saibh or Sadbh will tell you: it's not always easy to settle on the definitive spelling for our unique names!
For the girls:
1. Banba – patron goddess of Ireland.
2. Deirdre – tragic heroine of the Ulster Cycle; when she was born it was prophesied that she would be beautiful, but that kings and lords would go to war over her.
3. Aoibheall – the guardian spirit of the Ó Bríen clan.
4. Étaín – Heroine of Tochmarc Étaíne or the Wooing of Étaín.
5. Danu – the mother goddess of the Tuath Dé Danann.
6. Macha – a goddess associated with war, horses and sovereignty.
7. Bébhinn – a goddess quite appropriately associated with birth and meaning 'melodious woman'.
8. Sadhbh – Lover of Fionn mac Cumhaill, she spent three years transformed into a doe for refusing the love of a dark druid.
9. Lí Ban – meaning beautiful woman, in one story she appears in the form of a sea bird while in another, she turns into a mermaid.
10. Ériu – another patron goddess of Ireland.
For the boys:
1. Naoise – Doomed lover of Deirdre.
2. Fraoch – Warrior of Connacht.
3. Aengus – a god associated with love and poetry.
4. Lir – a god of the sea.
5. Dáire – owner of the Donn Cuailnge, the Brown Bull of Cooley.
6. Fionn – Fionn Mac Cumhaill was the legendary hunter-warrior and leader of the Fianna.
7. Felim – Felim mac Daill was father of Deirdre and a celebrated bard.
8. Caoilte – a member of the Fianna, who could run incredibly fast and communicate with animals.
9. Conán – another member of the Fianna, a comedic figure in many stories.
10. Cumhall – father of Fionn Mac Cumhaill and leader of the Fianna.
Where did you find inspiration for your babies' names? Let us know in the comments...